Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Day 47!

Today I got up a little later, and after having my crust and jam for breakfast I had a shower, moved rooms, said goodbye to the british guy wheo was getting a migraine (I hope it didnt develop.. he seemed to think it might not) and then I walked down the road about 2.5 km to the Vatican city. First up I went to St Peters (Peter the Apostle's bones are supposed to be buried beneath which is pretty cool), and after lining up for ages in the crazy heat I got through security and then saw an american dude who was giving a free english tour.. so I thought 'cher!' and joined the group who shortly headed into the church.

Aparently this is the biggest church in the world, and man it was pretty impressive!! It was totally gigantic, and had so many awesome sculptures in it (including that very famous one by Michaelangelo) and many by famous artists such as Rapheal and Michalangelo and stuff. The dude who did all the work in the big massive courtyard outside the church also made the massive copper sculpture in the middle, which is the biggest copper sculpture in the world, and weighs 90 tonnes!! Also.. Although it certianly looked like it, there were no paintings in the church and therefore you could take flash photos. All the things that looked like paintings were actually mosaics when you looked closely.. The skills in making them was incredible!!! Same goes for everything inside really!!

The tourguide was really good, and after about 45 minutes we were done, and he said he would be taking a paid tour (he was from a company) of the museum and cistene chapel later on. It was 20 Euros.. but I thought maybe I would, but first I went back into St Peters for a while and then got some lasagne for lunch (small and cheap but still delicious!)

I made it back to take the tour, but decided Id save myself the money and just do it myself. I kinda wish I hada taken the tour now, as the guide was really fantastic, and although the museum and stuff was great, I really didnt know alot about anything there, so could appreciate it.. I wished I had have taken it.. But it was still fine! There were rooms of tappestries, sculptures, maps and all sorts.. Also painted rooms that were great (especially the ones Rapheal did.. they were totally great!!). Soon after I was in the Sistene Chapel. This thing was smaller and less grandeous than I had imagined, only because its so romantasised I think.. But that said It was great! And seeing it all with my own eyes was great! So many people were ignoring the rules and taking photos which I thought was pretty irresponsible.. But I didnt do it anyway. In a few small sections they left a little section in its uncleaned state (the chapel was restored/cleaned a few years back) and the difference was quite dramatic!! Anyhow I spent quite a while in here looking at the famous ceiling, and I also really enjoyed the big painting on the wall as you entered called 'The Final Judgement'. Aparently Michaelagelo didnt like to paint.. :) but he did a pretty good job!

After the Chapel I went through the last parts of the museum, had some weird pasta dish id never seen before (it wasnt greta but I thought id try it) and then walked out of the Vatican and had a Gelato (gotta stop eating these.. Ima get even fatter!!). I then wandered around for a little and found this internet cafe so I could finally catch up on the blog and send a couple of emails.. And now its around 6.30 and Im not sure what Ill do yet. I have until 3 tomorrow, but I might go and see a couple of places now, and maybe visit some things at night too.. We will see.

Anyway.. Im up to date again which is cool!!! Unfortunately ive got alot fio catching up to do with flickr! (got all France, but no Italy yet), so dunno when Ill get a chance to do that yet..
Anyways, ill letcha know what I got up to the rest of the day in the next blog.

Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home