Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day 41 (2nd August)

I forgot that yesterday I also went to 'bastille'; where there was a big tower with a statue ontop, and a stylin opera house.. dunno the details, but it must be to do with the french revoultion somehow (seeing as its called bastille and all haha!).

Last night I watched the guys who hangout outside the hostel play around, hit on hostellers, and all of that.. The big black security dude told two or three girls that 'we dont need the, around here'. They always went for ones you could tell were a little self conscious or something.. It was crazy. Anyway, I had a soup, called home, and then went to my room where I listened to a sermon for a while and then went to sleep. Just before I got to sleep my new roommates arrived (they are from aussie). I said hi and stuff then after a bit rolled over and back to sleep. Ive met aussies everywhere ay, its crazy!! pretty much more than any other country. You can tell their economy is cranking huh! Lotsa travel for the aussies :)

I got up a bit earlier this morning and had a shower and the same breakfast ( but I bought some peanut butter for the bread :D!!!). I took some rools again and headed off to the city by metro again. I had a short wander around concorde and stuff again, then went into the Lourve around 9. Ok... seriously.. I cant explain this place, and I saw so much stuff I wont remeber any where near it all, and itd take pages of writing. There was a temporary exhibition called 'Le Trésor du monde' which probably means the treasures of the something, moon maybe? or world?? Anyhow it was a bunch of awesome jewels, weapons and artifacts mainly from india and surroundings. I then started on the main permanent parts of the lourve. Man everything was great!! I coulda stayed there days, altho I regret not buying an audio guide as I couldnt read any of the french :(. I could scan for names and stuff, but I find its nice to have an explanation especially for artifacts and stuff.. But ahhh well! It was still fantastic!

I took a 45 min break for lunch and decided id go to a cafe\restaurant and get a decent meal as I was ravished. I went into one place and chose the Beef Tartar (was gonna go steak and chips, but beef tartar sounded pretty good, and more frenchy.. and tartare sauce usually goes on fish? but it ,ight be a good mix??). Anyway.. In a few ,inutes I was presented with my meal and it turns out 'tartar' means minced, raw, and mixed up with sauce and gherkin thingies... great!! ha ha I had mr bean skits running through my head for a while :). anyways.. I love meat and i was hungry.. and for a guy who's not much of a gherkin fan it tasted alright ay!! I quite enjoyed it. Crazy french..

After this I sat in a bit courtyard of I think a palace just opposite the lourve and ate a roll and gave the birds a bit. This confirmed my observation yesterday that french birds are snobs!! ha ha ha they dont eat crusts!! they will peck the fluffy white stuff outta something you throw them then leave the rest! If you throw them just a crust it gets ignored!! classic! In NZ anything that could possibly be food gets gobbled immediately :).

After this I went back into the lourve and saw some big famousies like Venus de (du) Milo and Mona Lisa, and all of that.. was kida cool standing right infront of the real mona lisa, seeing your reflection against the painting :) very cool. There was a big room of large scale paintings which I really enjoy as they are huge, but dont get out of proportion or anything like that. Anyhow there were tons of great paintings, but I have to say the sculptures were probably my favourite. I loved the paintings, really loved them (some more than others of course.. but there were tons that made me wanna stop and stare). And the artifacts and stuff were all amazing and I wanted to stay forever.. but the sculptures were just awesome! probably because i havent seen thaaat many really good ones before. The workmanship is incredible!!! I took photos of a few (among other things).

Around 7pm my will pozer ran out and I couldnt appreciate any more stuff so I gave up (had been there 10 hours minus my 45 min lunch break). I hadnt seen one section of artifacts, and the top floor (all paintings) and I so wanted to look at them; and revisit some other places.. but it just wasnt gonna happen. The lourve isnt gonna run away though huh :) I can come back some other day!

I got on the metro and then came to the internet cafe. Im totally and utterly wiped out, so I think from now (8.30ish) its gonna be relaxing in my room, some ipod, and sleep!! I'll write anything I forgot or that I do later up in the next blog too. Tomorrow I think Ill do another day of lotsa walking around famous cites in Paris. Should be great! Lets hope the weathers ok, and that my foot holds up!

Cya!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home