Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 48

Well after that post my day turned to crap...

I hopped on a crowded train to go and see some sights before going into Rome later at the night, and had to stand in the doorway as it was so crowded. I was feeling a little conscious, so put my hands in my pockets over my wallet. At the big central station people streamed out of the train on both sides of me and one dude hit my arm and shunted it out of my pocket. Instantly another guy grabbed my wallet and was gone... SO lame! I had my last money (not too much), my student card, my drivers liscence, my train ticket, and my credit card in there so basically I had no money, no means of getting money and no way to get back to the hostel..

I ran around like a madman for about 30 mins trying to find the police to report it and finally got that outta the way, and after trying to scrounge some money to get home I gave up and ran all the way back to the hostel. My card doesnt work over here (I had memorised the number) so I couldnt even call home or anything, and it was all pretty awful. Its quite funny because in the previous days I had been reading the beginning of James where it says to consider it pure joy when trials come your way :). Gods pretty awesome. Anyway, i didnt let myself get to stressed out, and some really nice british guy lent me 5 euros to buy a card that i could call home with, which I proceeded to do and mum and dad stopped my card for me. I couldnt get into my locker as I had no key anymore for my locker, so just had to go to bed.

In the morning I rang home and got the details of the western union money transfer I got mum and dad to make for me, and got some bolt cutters and opened my locker and all that. I had my crappy little breakfast :). I checked out and decided I might aswell try see some more of Rome before I left even with my big bulky bag, so lugged it and my other backpack around with me and visited some sights. First I went to the spanish steps which werent anything too special.. but were quite nice, and there was a nice fountain out front, and another one nearby. From here I wandered down and got to the (toreli?) fountain which was really stunning!!! Its this huge fountain on the siude of a building with neptune and his sea-horse chariot and stuff like that.. was really fantastic!!

From here I walked to the Pantheon which was pretty nice, and really old! It had a hole in the ceiling (intentional one) so when it rains it rains inside and drains through special holes in the floor. After this I went to the train station, had some time to kill so went to a re3staurant and had some reasonably average spinnach and ricotta canneloni.

After this It was time for my train trip to Venice. his was another amazingly beautiful and scenic trainride that I thoroughly enjoyed, and got to listen to a couple of sermons on aswell. At the end the two Italian guys I was with truck up a conversation with me. They spoke like no english and it was HILARIOUS! They were high on something and offered me some but I declined. But they would just yabber away in Italian dropping in an occasional english word.. and id just shrug and nod and smile and stuff.. It was quite a performance!! They finally got it that I wasnt from america and I was from New Zealand, and we talked about the All lacks and the haka (everyone seems to love that here) and then eventually I got to my stop.

I had to catch another short train into Venice and soon I was there.. WOW!!! I LOVE VENICE!!!! As soon as I got out of the trainstation my jaw hit the ground and it didnt come back up until I left really. Its gorgeous!!! And the streets being rivers and all the awesome boats and stuff.. There are beautiful buildings too.. and its all around fantastic. I took a little walk, then hoppen on my bus (A Boat!) and took the 40 minute (long way) ride over to the island my hostel was on. (waterside hostel.. wow!). I walked in and as I was waiting to check in a girl leaned over and asked in I was from New Zealand (had glanced at my passport), I said yeah, and she introduced herself as Katie from England and she was travelling with a uni friend Peter from Ireland, we talked a bit and then I checked in. I got a pizza from the bar, and came over and we 3 had a talk for a while and I let pete finish off my Pizza, and it was great! They are both super people and were great to talk to! Having someone to talk to in English was great! Around 11 we called it a night and decided we would travel around together tomorrow and set a time to meet for brekky.

I went up to my room, deposited my stuff and got into bed. One cool thing thats happening over here with no TV and limited music is that my brain is making up for it in dreams. I convert snoring into awesome beats in my almost-asleep state.. Its awesome! And often my dreams are these awesome stories with great plots and twists at the end that I arent a part of.. just a passive observer just like watching TV.. Its quite cool!!

Anyway, I set the alarm for 8 and was soon off to sleep.

Till tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home