Friday, August 18, 2006

Day 56!

Today I got up around 9 as I had the room to myself (sweet! my own shower and everything!), and after loading up on a very generous brekky of many cereals, yoghurt, bread rolls, cheese and delicious ham (I made 2 rolls for lunch :D) I filled up on free mineral water and headed off. First I explored around some of West Berlin. First I got out at the Brandenburger Tor and had a better look at the very impressive Bundestag building.. from here I wandered across to the offices of the Bundeskanzler(in :D), and along the Spree a bit (which looked just like an olympic set up.. probably where they held some water events).

After this I checked out the big monument on the 17th of June Street.. forgotten what its called. But its really cool, has a big golden victory statue ontop, and the pillar has cannons from defeated countries on it :D love it! From the top was a great view of the city too. I stayed there quite a while, and then walked through a nice park with some lakes with INCREDIBLE reflections, and walked past the zoo (which if I had one more day I would SO visit! i think Berlin zoo is a good one too!). Soon I was at the Karl Wilhelm Gedaenknis Kirche which was fantastic!! The other two buildings they have erected next to it are pretty ugly really.. But the church itself is great!!

Outside the church I watch some street performers breakdancing, and a guy doing paintings entirely with spraypaint (very impressive.. might be the same guy Arnulf got a painting from.) After this I wandered for a bit and went to some random Rathaus that sucked, so I went to the Schloss Hottenburg. This had a few nice statues inside.. but was no big deal.. But walking around and catching the trains was all good fun!

It was now around 3 something, so I caught a train to East Berlin, and had another look at some of the amazing squares and buildings I had seen yesterday. I wanted to go and see that great memorial to the Jews again.. but didnt know exactly where it was unfortunately. After this I had a bite to eat, listened to some singers nearby, had a lax in the Lustgarten, tried to stop a few people getting robbed blind by the sneaky Russian people and being threatened for it, and then went to a couple of big museums for free! (go late Thursdays!!) both were great! But my highlights from each were 1.) A massive gate leading into the old Babylon (a wonder of the world!!! awesome!), and in the other an amazingly kept clay mask of an Egyptian queen.. it was truely amazing!

At 8 or so I cought a train back home, and saw an amazing sunset. Once at my stop I got off and went to the internet cafe, and when I get back to the hostel I think ill have some water, have a relax, and have a quiet one I think.. should be nice!!

Bye! :D

After this (around 8)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home