Saturday, August 19, 2006

Day 57!!

Well after writing the blog yesterday I went back to the hostel for a while. By the way.. the hostel is great ay! If you are ever in London or Berlin then stay at 'the generator'!! Its fantastic! Really nice and modern, cool design and interior, great services and all around big thumbs up! First up I decided id go to the bar and try this Berlin speciality called 'Berlin Weisse' its a beer that originated when French came to Berlin and didnt like the beer because it was too bitter so they added syrup to it. You can get it in green or red, and I hear the green is nasty.. so I triend the red and it was pretty good ay! Very sweet and hardly like drinking beer at all.. but was quite different and cool.

After that I tried ringing home and about a grand total of 1 minute talking time cost me 9$NZ.. grrr!! But ahh well.. I then retired to my room where I noticed two other lockers were being used (room of 6 beds) so I figured I would have 2 roommates for this night. I decided to go back down to the communal area, and veged out for a little watching some TV and drinking lotsa free mineral water, and then went back up to my room.. got readyish for bed and started moving my stuff around, and then I heard the keycard in the door.

You can imagine my suprise when two girls entered!! They were both medical students from the UK (studying in Newcastle) and were having a trip around Europe in their holidays. Their names are Anna and Jessica, and we had a big long chat about all kinda of things from travel, to study, to getting lost, to tips of what to do and not do and all kinda of stuff, it was cool. Later on we set the alarms for 7.15 (they wanted to make the most of their next day in Berlin. good stuff!) and after brushing teeth and hopping into bed and stuff said goodnight. It was kinda strange saying goodnight to a girl (s) that were sleeping in the same room as I was. Musta been like 15ish years since I did it last and that was when I shared my room with my sister so quite different!!

In the morning we got up and the girls had a shower, and I laxed around for a bit and chatted whoever wasnt in the little toilet/shower room, and then we went down to breakfast. Again it was a great feed compared to what ive had in other places especially Italy.. so I tanked up, made 3 rolls for lunch, and we all went back up to our room to pack up and then said our goodbyes. I then had a shower, backed up my bag, checked out and went off on my way. I took the S Bahn to the main trainstation (scenic route to chew up some time), and then got on to my train to Hamburg. Before I knew it I was there and it was raining..

Anyhow, I rang Arianes friends friend Christian who had my suitcaes and arranged to pick it up. I caught the U bahn out to the relevant stop, and after meeting Christian and having a chat in German hopped back onto a train into the centre city. Christian joined me for one stop, then we said goodbye. I then found my hostel which is basically an apartmnent with a few rooms they rent out for backpackers :D. It has insence smell and a Bhudda statue out front too. I repacked my suitcase (gonna be heavy!) and then went back into town.

First I went ot the waterfront and triend to get a ticket to The Lion King, but it was solidly booked and horrificly priced.. which was a shame! I tried a fish bun thing (Hamburgs very big on the seafood which is just fine by me!) anfd then went to the City hall. The city hall here is a super impressive building, and in an inner courtyard is an equally cool fountain. I relax and hid from the rain for a while, and then checked out the market infront of the city hall for a while.

If you remember I went with Björn to the Fischmarkt in Stuttgart.. welöl that was from Hamburg, and in return Stuttgart sends a markt to Hamburg too.. I think this must have been that exact markt, because there was Maultaschen for sale.. and a few places with Stuttgart in the name. It was a really nice set up and I wandered around, had a Rote Wurst, and then started wandering in the rain.

I passed a really nice old cathedral spire, with no attached church, and then went to Saint Catherines church, where I took some time out for a good half hour, and then braved the now torrential rain back to a U Bahn stop. Trying any more sightseeing was gonna be stupid as I was already half soaked.. so after training home, and spending 15 minutes trying to get into the accomodation (stupid keys dont work!!) I finally made it. I hung up my jacket, then just bummed round for a bit. I then went out, forgetting my wallet, but being unable to get back in.. So I walked up and down the street the hostels on for a bit, checked out the places to eat and stuff.. and now Im back again after another good 20 minute struggle with the keys and its 7.30ish. Its seems whenever I predict what im gonna do for the evening im wrong or something more exciting happens.. but im pretty sure this time ill just sit in my room a while.. maybe go out and get an icecream or something.. then have a read an an early night hoping tomorrow is finer! (also I may not get much sleep tomorrow night as I have no accomodation in Sweden for that night ha ha! gonna rough it in a trainstation or something I think).

Anyhow.. Catcha later huh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home